tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Java.lang.out.of.memory not clearly....
Date Mon, 30 Jan 2012 19:08:24 GMT
> From: Luciano Andress Martini [mailto:777user@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Java.lang.out.of.memory not clearly....

You're top posting again - stop that.

> By default 4GB per virtual machine with tomcat.

But that's all funny money - how much _real_ memory is usable by each VM?  If the underlying
hypervisor is swapping a VM's memory out (oversubscription), then you've got a serious problem.

> Now my boss talked with the developers and added a command to
> call the garbage colector

That's pointless in a properly configured system.  GC will run automatically whenever the
heap gets full.  More evidence that you don't actually have enough real memory to handle the
load.

> we find the bad guy, its a button, when we click then,
> the memory increases.

Which is true for any Java action - heap will be consumed until GC runs.  The behavior you
observed is not necessarily indicative of a leak, but rather just an action that creates a
lot of objects.

 - Chuck