tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat7 and Apache2 connection configuration (mod_proxy_ajp)
Date Tue, 31 Jan 2012 09:15:38 GMT
Pid * wrote:
> On 31 Jan 2012, at 06:59, baba smith <junkuribox@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> the problem that i'm trying to fix is that after a while that apache and
>> tomcat work together, the tomcat stops responding to the apache.
>> it looks like the connector itself stops working.
>>
>> the errors i see in the apach log  are:
>> "(70007)The timeout specified has expired: ajp_ilink_receive() can't receive
>> header"
>> "ajp_read_header: ajp_ilink_receive failed"
>> "(120006)APR does not understand this error code: proxy: read response
>> failed from 127.0.0.1:9005 (localhost)")
>>
>> do you know these errors? i'm pretty new to apache and tomcat so i thought
>> to start investigating by checking the configurations. i found lots of
>> documentation and yet nothing about the correlation/relation between the
>> apache
>> config and the tomcat config.

> Perhaps you can provide the information produced by the version.bat or
> .sh script in Tomcat/bin.
>
> (put your answer here)
>
> The exact versions of HTTPD and details about the connector you are
> using would also be useful.
>
> (put your answer here)

In addition to what Pid is asking for, and to give us a rough idea of the context :
How many requests are forwarded by Apache to Tomcat : 1 per minute, 1 per second, 10 per
second, 100 per second, 1000 per second ?
And on average, how much time does Tomcat need to process one request ? milliseconds,
seconds, minutes ?

To answer your question more broadly : there does not seem to exist a lot of documentation

about mod_proxy_ajp.  And/or, maybe the documentation page that exists is complete, and
there simply are no other parameters to adjust.

The following is just a personal guess :
mod_proxy_ajp uses the same AJP protocol as the other Apache/AJP connector (mod_jk).
mod_jk provides a lot of parameters to fine-tune its configuration.
mod_proxy_ajp apparently does not.
But also, mod_jk seems to be able to adjust its configuration automatically by default, in

function of the corresponding Tomcat AJP Connector.  So I guess that it must be able to
find out the Tomcat Connector configuration through the AJP interface with that Connector.
And since mod_proxy_ajp uses the same protocol, maybe it uses the same functionality to
also set itself up automatically.
Again, just a guess..