tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David kerber <dcker...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: Java.lang.out.of.memory not clearly....
Date Mon, 30 Jan 2012 16:23:54 GMT
On 1/30/2012 11:05 AM, Luciano Andress Martini wrote:
> 2012/1/30, Caldarale, Charles R<Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com>:
>>> From: Luciano Andress Martini [mailto:777user@gmail.com]
>>> Subject: Re: Java.lang.out.of.memory not clearly....
>>
>>> Jeffrey im sorry, but i need to ask, my boss says that is impossible
>>> to be a problem in the software cause java unalocate objects
>>> automatically, is that true?
>>
>> A) Stop your top posting - it's incredibly annoying and makes people much
>> less likely to help.
>>
>> B) Your boss is wrong.  Google for many examples of memory leaks in Java.
>>
>>   - Chuck
>>

>> THIS COMMUNICATION MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR OTHERWISE PROPRIETARY
>> MATERIAL and is thus for use only by the intended recipient. If you received
>> this in error, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail and its
>> attachments from all computers.

> Thank you and sorry Chuck.
> Jeffrey what is your opinion about this?
> The development team is using a software that "Draw" java code called
> developer, and do not programming in. Im a assembler/C programmer and
> don't have so much knowing about java.

Java can have memory leaks just as easily as C can, but if the app is
standalone, it will release them when the app closes and the JRE shuts
down.

I have killed tomcat more than once with memory leaks, so it's easy to
do.  I'm not the expert that Chuck and Mark T are, but here is my
understanding of what happens:  if the app is running under tomcat, the
JRE never shuts down since tomcat is using it.  That means the JRE can
not free up memory that your app has left allocated, as it would be able
to in a standalone app.  So your Tomcat app has to clean up after itself
because there is nothing else that can do so.

> But all the fault is falling back to me in the company.

I know the feeling  :-/