tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: tomcat service version can't access intranet(not internet) files
Date Mon, 30 Jan 2012 10:15:11 GMT
chenqiang wrote:
> I found a problem which confused me so much,(I use tomcat7.0.20-7.0.25)  my
> web application need access to the files on another machine which is on the
> intranet, when I use the zip format distribution version of tomcat,
> everything is ok, but the problem arises when I deployed the apps on the
> tomcat services version, it can't list the files and just return null,It's
> so strange. Could anyone give me some hints? Thank you in advance.

By default, Windows Services run as the "LocalSystem" user-id.  This is a special local
account, which has extensive rights on the local machine, but no access to Windows network

resources (such as remote drives, printers etc..).

You need to change the account under which the Tomcat Service runs, to a "domain account"

which has such access rights. For testing, you could use your own account, but for the
long term, you should obtain for that (from your network admins) what is usually known as

a "service account" (a domain user-id specially defined for that kind of thing, which has

some network access, and whose password does not "age").

You do not see this problem when you run Tomcat from a console window, because then you
are running it under the account under which you logged in (which is a domain account).

I'm sure that this is also all in the FAQ somewhere..