tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pid <...@pidster.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 6 - How to make an application available at www.mydomain.com
Date Sun, 29 Jan 2012 11:06:46 GMT
On 29/01/2012 03:42, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Dean Del Ponte [mailto:dean.delponte@gmail.com]
>> Subject: Tomcat 6 - How to make an application available at www.mydomain.com
>
>> How can I make this application available at "http://www.mydomain.com"
>> without deploying it as ROOT.war?
>
> Just save yourself much grief and go ahead and deploy it as ROOT.war - follow best practice.

+1  A trivial example: if someone else who doesn't understand the config
administers the server in future and inadvertently places a ROOT.war
file in the appBase...

If, for some reason, you really, really need to see what the application
is called, then consider upgrading to Tomcat 7.0 and using the parallel
deployment feature.  Then you can name your application:

 ROOT##my-important-app-name-1.0.war

The whole of the section after ## is considered to be part of the
version identifier.  I think this is a much better way of addressing the
usual argument about naming & leaves the application layout on the file
system easy to understand.