tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: TC7 very slow SessionIdGenerator SecureRandom initialization
Date Sat, 28 Jan 2012 14:23:35 GMT
On 28.01.2012 00:38, Pid wrote:
> On 27/01/2012 23:25, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>>> From: David Rees [mailto:drees76@gmail.com]
>>> Subject: Re: TC7 very slow SessionIdGenerator SecureRandom initialization
>>
>>> Hmm, yes, the systems I've checked running Java 1.7.0_02 list
>>> /dev/urandom as the securerandom.source.
>>
>> Unfortunately, there's a misguided part of the JRE that insists it's smarter than
any sysadmin, so it checks for /dev/urandom and uses /dev/random instead - that's why the
setting of /dev/./urandom is important, even though it would seem to be equivalent.

> So editing the file fixes this, or just using the system property?

I expect either will help.

Using /dev/random instead of the configured /dev/urandom IMHO is an
implementation bug. Some more details at

http://marc.info/?l=tomcat-dev&m=130182757504685&w=2

http://search.oracle.com/search/search?search_p_main_operator=all&start=1&group=bugs.sun.com&q=%2Fdev%2Furandom

The one bug closest to this topic is

but Oracle doesn't care :(.