tomcat-users mailing list archives

From bxqdev <bxq...@themailbay.com>
Subject Re: Connectors: Http11Protocol vs. Http11NioProtocol
Date Fri, 27 Jan 2012 23:35:58 GMT

On 1/28/2012 3:16 AM, Pid wrote:
> On 27/01/2012 22:51, bxqdev wrote:

Api

>>> Only 1 CPU?
>>
>> yes, but it's multicore.

>>> So you want to send 300k * 10000 / sec?  Isn't that just under 3Gb per
>>> second?
>>
>> actually when i measured it was less than 1Gb/sec
>
> I see.  Did you identify where the bottleneck was?

well, we are getting too far from the subject.
can you make up 3 cases when to use 3 combinations of connector+servlet api
1. bio connector + async servlet
2. nio connector + sync servlet
3. nio connector + async servlet
i mean in which theoretical case each combination of connector+servlet api is the best choice?

>>> How did you optimise your webapp for 3Gb/sec with only 8Gb of RAM?
>>
>> i wrote nice code. it's serving 1Gb/sec with 8Gb of RAM. are you surprised?
>
> No, I'm curious*.  Of course you mean<  8Gb for the JVM process, as the
> OS etc consumes ~1.5Gb usually, you want to leave a bit of space too, so
> usually end up aiming for 4Gb for the JVM unless you want to use swap as
> well.
>
> Are you using swap to improve your memory performance?

is it some kind of sarcasm?

>>> In 3 seconds you'll have produced more data than you have RAM, how have
>>> you optimised the garbage collector for this?
>>
>> we use a custom garbage collector.
>
> Interesting.  Of your own design?

yes, we're going to opensource it soon. stay tuned.

> I was going to ask whether you had a 64bit JVM and whether you found
> CompressedOops to be a performance improvement or not?

why would we use 32bit OS/JVM on 8Gb server?
actually we don't have any problems to solve.
my question is more theoretical.