tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [OT] Inspecting JMX
Date Thu, 26 Jan 2012 21:06:58 GMT
Christopher Schultz wrote:

> André,
>
> On 1/26/12 3:30 PM, André Warnier wrote:
>> independently of anything else, you may want to have a look at
>> jmxsh http://code.google.com/p/jmxsh/
>
> Now that I have *something* working, I can experiment to see what
> other things work as well :)
>
>> It is interactive as well as scriptable. (If I, who do not
>> understand much about JMX and mbeans (or even java), managed to use
>> it with Tomcat and other stand-alone java applications, it means
>> that it is really simple).
>
> If you got lost in my original post and you managed to get JMX
> monitoring up and running, then I think you might be on to something,
> here.

I needed a simple scriptable tool at some point in the past, to force Tomcat (and other
Java programs) to do a major GC from time to time, to get rid of some dangling native
socket left open in an inaccessible (but not yet collected) java object.
I believe it was Chuck who pointed me to jmxsh originally.
I only used it further by curiosity, without really understanding what I was doing.
But I know one useful feature is that it allows one to browse interactively, to find the
available JMX?/mbeans?.

Example : force (the JVM running) Tomcat to do a GC :

# gc_tomcat.jmxsh
# force the target JVM to do a GC, via the jmxsh shell.
# invoke as :
# java -jar jmxsh.jar gc_tomcat.jmxsh
#
# In the following command, replace the port number (-p)
#	by the port which has been specified in the parameter :
#	-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=xxxxx
#	of the target Java JVM startup line
#	(and so on for -U and -P)
jmx_connect -h 127.0.0.1 -p 8200 -U controlRole -P mypass
jmx_invoke -m java.lang:type=Memory gc
jmx_close

To get the interactive shell, use the command "java -jar jmxsh.jar".