tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <>
Subject Re: Restarting tomcat 7.0.23 on MAC OS X 10.6
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2012 15:15:17 GMT

On 1/24/12 4:19 AM, Francis GALIEGUE wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 17:52, Caldarale, Charles R
> <> wrote:
>>> From: Oliver Due Billing [] Subject:
>>> Restarting tomcat 7.0.23 on MAC OS X 10.6
>>> I have a test-server on my macbook pro and it takes forever to
>>> restart the server do anyone have a clue to whats happening.
>> It may be collecting entropy.  Take a thread dump, and see what
>> the JVM is doing during the pause.
>> You can try setting
>> as a system property.  Note that the apparently extra "/." is
>> required to trick the JVM into using the alternate random byte
>> source.
> I was about to suggest this but wasn't sure that the problem also
> existed for Mac OS X...

OSX definitely has both /dev/random and /dev/urandom, so I suspect
their semantics are similar to what I've experienced on Linux systems

I'm running (on my Mac):

$ java -version
Java version "1.6.0_29"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_29-b11-402-11M3527)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.4-b02-402, mixed mode)

... and this is in my file:

# The entropy gathering device is described as a URL and can also
# be specified with the system property "". For example,
# Specifying this system property will override the securerandom.source
# setting.

There is no explicit setting for

I've never had a problem restarting my webapps, but I'm not using SSL
on my own machine, which is the most likely thing to require a bunch
of entropy on startup.

- -chris
Version: GnuPG/MacGPG2 v2.0.17 (Darwin)
Comment: GPGTools -