tomcat-users mailing list archives

From James Lampert <jam...@touchtonecorp.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 7 in Java 6 on V5R4 (. . . 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . . crash-on-takeoff)
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2012 01:10:33 GMT
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
> One thing you didn't tell us was exactly how you start Tomcat.  Have
> you tried starting Tomcat from a command prompt so you can see the
> display of the derived variables, such as CLASSPATH?

We start it from a variation of the OS/400 CL program given in this blog
entry by "BetterThanZero":
http://as400samplecode.blogspot.com/2011/06/install-tomcat-on-iseries-as400-tomcat.html

His CL program is:

> PGM
> ADDENVVAR  ENVVAR(JAVA_HOME) +
>              VALUE('/QIBM/ProdData/Java400/jdk15')
> MONMSG     MSGID(CPF0000)
> SBMJOB     CMD(QSH +
>              CMD('/apache/apache-tomcat-6.0.32/bin/start+
>              up.sh')) JOB(CATALINA) JOBQ($jobqName) +
>              CPYENVVAR(*YES) ALWMLTTHD(*YES)

ours is adjusted to where we put Tomcat in the file system.

And up until a few minutes ago (hours after I first looked at your
post), how to launch from a command line had not occurred to me (the
answer, of course, would be to type the value of the CMD parameter on
the "adjusted" version of the SBM job above (sometimes, even after
almost eighteen years of working with the AS/400 platform, I surprise
myself with how dense I can be!).

At any rate,

> qsh CMD('/WINTOUCH/TOMCAT/BIN/STARTUP.SH')

produces:

> /WINTOUCH/TOMCAT/BIN/catalina.sh: 001-0019 Error found searching for command
> tty. No such path or directory.
> Using CATALINA_BASE:   /wintouch/tomcat
> Using CATALINA_HOME:   /wintouch/tomcat
> Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /wintouch/tomcat/temp
> Using JRE_HOME:        /QOpenSys/QIBM/ProdData/JavaVM/jdk60/32bit/jre
> Using CLASSPATH:       /wintouch/tomcat/bin/bootstrap.jar:/wintouch/tomcat/bi
> n/tomcat-juli.jar

at which point it sits there for under 2 seconds before terminating,
leaving this in catalina.out:

> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina
> at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:432)
> at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.init(Bootstrap.java:236)
> at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:425)

By contrast, if I enter the same command on a command line on our V6
box, I got the same, except for the initial "no such path or directory"
exception, and then it sat there until I signed on from another terminal
session and (after first verifying that the port had opened) terminating
Tomcat.

--
JHHL