tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pid <...@pidster.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 6.0.35 -crossing maxThreads configured count
Date Mon, 23 Jan 2012 14:12:53 GMT
On 23/01/2012 14:06, Daniel Mikusa wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-01-23 at 05:44 -0800, gnath wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>

>> We have Tomcat 6.0.35 in our production Environment running on Linux, and we have
configured to use tomcatThreadPool with maxThreads=500 and minSpareThreads=50 with default
connectionTimeout(which is 60000 sec).

>> We have two connectors (http and ssl) It has been giving some problems like 'too
many open files' or just hangs once in a while which requires a restart to get back to normal.

> Have you taken any thread dumps when the server hangs?  What do you see?
>

>> Recently i happened to check our access logs when the server hung and stopped responding.
We were printing the thread number in the logs and i have seen the number going upto 770 (though
the max is configured at 500). I was under impression that the threads will be shared among
the connectors and max it can go to 500. Could you please explain why im seeing very high
number than configured? Is that maxThreads value per connector?

> It would help to see how you have your thread pool and connectors
> configured.  Please attach your server.xml minus any comments.
>
> Also, a thread dump would be nice to confirm how many threads were
> actually running.

The maxThreads in the Connector only applies to Tomcat request
processing threads, it is not a limit imposed on the whole JVM.

You will usually have 20-30 threads running doing various things in
addition to those that your app starts.

If Tomcat is at 500 + 20 then the rest are likely to be started by your
application or dependencies.  As Dan states, a thread dump is the way to
understand this.

[key:62590808]