tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 7 service not starting
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2012 19:50:32 GMT
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
>> Subject: Re: Tomcat 7 service not starting
>
>> what caused it to try to start again repeatedly by itself ?
>
> Pretty much any Windows service can be configured to automatically restart when it terminates.

Right, I see that now : Services..Tomcat..Properties.. then the 3rd tab (on my German XP
Workstation, that's called "Wiederherstellen").  You can set it to restart automatically
after the 1st, 2d, and further failures.

It's still not the default setting for Tomcat however, so someone must have set it
specifically to do that on Debbie's system.

   You have to use the real service console, not tomcat7w.exe, to change that setting.

>> It is unusual for server applications to put a logfile in the
>> same directory as the "programs" (in this case, the InetSoft
>> web application's java classes).
>
> Newer versions of Windows also require running as administrator (not just administrator
privileges) in order to write to C:\Program Files (or its variants).  This can be problematic
for apps that try to keep everything in their installation directory.

Good to know also.
So Debbie might want to change that logfile's location, to avoid another mysterious
failure the day that system gets upgraded or the application moved to a more recent server.
And maybe pass this on to the InetSoft people, in case they didn't know yet.