tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier>
Subject Re: RE : mod_jk linux binaries
Date Sat, 07 Jan 2012 14:11:04 GMT
Apologies if you already know this, or if it is not relevant to your particular case.
Many Linux distributions (*) already provide pre-packaged binaries for Apache httpd,
Tomcat and mod_jk.
There is a lot of debate always about whether one should use these pre-packaged versions,

or download the sources and build the packages oneself, and I don't want to enter into
that discussion here.  They are generally not the latest cutting-edge version, but they
generally work, individually and together, and are easier to install and maintain if you
have a lot of systems to manage.
One inconvenient is that they tend to distribute the files in not-always-obvious
locations, so that when you have a problem, it makes it harder for people here to help, or

to locate things and apply individual corrections.
Basically thus, it is your choice, according to your particular situation it may make
things easier or not.

(*) Unfortunately, one which does not seem to do so anymore is RedHat RHEL.