tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Debbie Shapiro <DShap...@cardiacscience.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat 7 service not starting
Date Tue, 10 Jan 2012 18:36:42 GMT
Thank you all for your responses. Combining all the questions and answers into one email...

Hi, are you able to see the log files in the log folder?

Conway

A: Yes, I can see the log files.
The localhost file says catalina serviceManager initalized successfully.

Commons-daemon has the following:
[2012-01-08 23:30:12] [info]  Commons Daemon procrun (1.0.5.0 64-bit) started
[2012-01-08 23:30:12] [info]  Running 'Tomcat7' Service...
[2012-01-08 23:30:12] [info]  Starting service...
[2012-01-08 23:30:13] [info]  Service started in 1203 ms.
[2012-01-09 16:15:03] [info]  Stopping service...

I show 2 tomcat7-stdout files
One Tomcat7-stdout mentions an error fail to get sree home from web.xml:

2012-01-08 23:30:12 Commons Daemon procrun stdout initializedInitializing data space: [FileSystemDataSpace]
Can not find sree properties in ./sree.properties
Writing log to .\sree.log
The logging properties is: sree.properties
InetSoft 10.2 build 0908111301 started
Fail to get sree home from "web.xml as servlet parameter".
Get sree home from "web.xml as global parameter" successfully.
The sree properties is: C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 7.0.6\webapps\sree\WEB-INF\classes/sree.properties
Writing log to C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 7.0.6\webapps\sree\WEB-INF\classes/sree.log
The logging properties is: sree.properties
The sree properties is: C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 7.0.6\webapps\sree\WEB-INF\classes/sree.properties
Writing log to C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 7.0.6\webapps\sree\WEB-INF\classes/sree.log
The logging properties is: sree.properties

The other has different errors:

2012-01-09 16:15:55 Commons Daemon procrun stdout initializedError occurred during initialization
of VM
java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object

2012-01-09 16:28:15 Commons Daemon procrun stdout initializedError occurred during initialization
of VM
java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object

2012-01-09 16:44:43 Commons Daemon procrun stdout initializedError occurred during initialization
of VM
java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object

2012-01-09 16:52:27 Commons Daemon procrun stdout initializedError occurred during initialization
of VM
java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object

2012-01-09 16:53:07 Commons Daemon procrun stdout initializedError occurred during initialization
of VM
java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object

2012-01-09 17:16:20 Commons Daemon procrun stdout initializedError occurred during initialization
of VM
java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object

2012-01-09 17:17:37 Commons Daemon procrun stdout initializedError occurred during initialization
of VM
java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object

> From: Debbie Shapiro [mailto:DShapiro@cardiacscience.com]
> Subject: Tomcat 7 service not starting

> I also upgraded Java from 1.6.0_20 to 1.6.0_30.

Did you also perhaps change from a 32-bit to a 64-bit JVM (or vice-versa)?  The mode of the
JVM must match the mode of the Tomcat service wrapper (tomcat7.exe).

 - Chuck

>> I also upgraded Java from 1.6.0_20 to 1.6.0_30.
>
> Did you also perhaps change from a 32-bit to a 64-bit JVM (or vice-versa)?  The mode
of the JVM must match the mode of the Tomcat service wrapper (tomcat7.exe).

Are you using JRE or JDK?
If JRE then OK, as its path is always the same.

If JDK then you must update service configuration to use the new version of JDK.

A: It is the JRE only.

What jar files did you replace?

A: These are InetSoft jar files, nothing was replaced or changed on the Tomcat installation.

I'd also replace tomcat7.exe and tomcat7w.exe, review configuration changes [1] and clear
all files from work directory.

A: Why would these need to be replaced?
Also, there is nothing in the work directory other than a bunch of directories. The only file
I see is in the work\Catalina\localhost\_\org\apache\jsp and there is an index_jsp.class and
an index_jsp.java both dated 1/26/2011. So they haven't changed in quite a while.

Do you use tc-native DLL?

A: I don't even understand the question! LOL

What OS it is?
Win 2003 Server R2 SP2 Standard 64-bit

[1] http://tomcat.apache.org/migration.html

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

On 10/01/2012 01:16, Debbie Shapiro wrote:
> Hello -
> I use Tomcat with the Business Intelligence Web Application InetSoft. I am in the process
of upgrading our development server to their latest version (11.2). I also upgraded Java from
1.6.0_20 to 1.6.0_30. The upgrade procedure for InetSoft is to replace a couple of jar files,
which I have done. But now Tomcat is no longer starting up. I get an Error 1067. The process
terminated unexpectedly. Can anyone provide any guidance on where to look for why this is
no longer starting up?

What does "update a couple of jar files" refer to?  Tomcat or InetSoft?

A: InetSoft only.

Does this procedure also involve updating Tomcat and if so, how did you do that?

A: No, there was no change required to Tomcat. I am still trying to use the same version as
before, which is 7.0.6.

You didn't actually say, but I assume from the error that you are using Windows.  Did you
check the Tomcat log files and find any errors there?

A: Yes, Win 2003 Server (described above more detail).
A: Yes, there are some errors in the Tomcat log files, displayed above.

Debbie Shapiro
Data Warehouse Manager
Cardiac Science
Office: 425.402.2233

Visit us at www.cardiacscience.com
Suppliers of Cardiac Science, Criticare, Unetixs, Powerheart, Burdick, and Quinton products
Part of the Opto Circuits Family

Visit us at www.cardiacscience.com<http://www.cardiacscience.com/>
Suppliers of Cardiac Science, Criticare, Unetixs, Powerheart, Burdick, and Quinton products
Part of the Opto Circuits Family

This email is confidential and intended only for the use of the individual or entity named
above and may contain information that is privileged. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by return
email or telephone and destroy the original message. - This mail is sent via Sony Asia Pacific
Mail Gateway..