tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Purvis Robert (NHS CONNECTING FOR HEALTH)" <robert.pur...@nhs.net>
Subject RE: Tomcat 6.0.35-SocketException: Too many open files issue with
Date Mon, 23 Jan 2012 09:32:27 GMT
Sorry to possibly state the obvious, but are there perhaps files that are not being closed?

This can often happen if code goes into a "catch", and a file is not closed. Best to have
a "finally" block which checks if a file is open, and closes it.

Robert Purvis

-----Original Message-----
From: gnath [mailto:gautam_exquisite@yahoo.com]
Sent: 22 January 2012 08:01
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Tomcat 6.0.35-SocketException: Too many open files issue with

Hello,

We have been seeing "SocketException: Too many open files" in production environment(Linux
OS running Tomcat 6.0.35 with sun's JDK 1.6.30) every day and requires a restart of Tomcat.
When this happened for the first time, we searched online and found people suggesting to increase
the file descriptors size and we increased to 4096. But still the problem persists.  We have
the Orion App Server also running on the same machine but usually during the day when we check
the open file descriptor by command: ls -l /proc/PID/fd, its always less than 1000 combined
 for both Orion and Tomcat.

Here is the exception we see pouring in the logs once it starts: This requires us to kill
java process and restart tomcat. Our Tomcat configuration maxThreadCount is 500 with minSpareThreads=50
in server.xml

SEVERE: Socket accept failed
java.net.SocketException: Too many open files
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.accept(PlainSocketImpl.java:408)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.implAccept(ServerSocket.java:462)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.accept(ServerSocket.java:430)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.DefaultServerSocketFactory.acceptSocket(DefaultServerSocketFactory.java:61)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Acceptor.run(JIoEndpoint.java:352)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

ulimit -a gives for the user where Tomcat is running.

open files                      (-n) 4096

Please let me know what could be the issue here and how can i resolve this 'Too many open
files' issue.

Thanks
-G

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please
inform the
Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in
reliance on its contents:

Thank you for your co-operation.

NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and
Scotland
NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail
and GSi recipients
For more information and to find out how you can switch, visit www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail