tomcat-users mailing list archives

From gnath <gautam_exquis...@yahoo.com>
Subject Tomcat 6.0.35-SocketException: Too many open files issue with
Date Sun, 22 Jan 2012 08:01:28 GMT
Hello,

We have been seeing "SocketException: Too many open files" in production environment(Linux
OS running Tomcat 6.0.35 with sun's JDK 1.6.30) every day and requires a restart of Tomcat.
When this happened for the first time, we searched online and found people suggesting to increase
the file descriptors size and we increased to 4096. But still the problem persists.  We have
the Orion App Server also running on the same machine but usually during the day when we check
the open file descriptor by command: ls -l /proc/PID/fd, its always less than 1000 combined
for both Orion and Tomcat.

Here is the exception we see pouring in the logs once it starts: This requires us to kill
java process and restart tomcat. Our Tomcat configuration maxThreadCount is 500 with minSpareThreads=50
in server.xml

SEVERE: Socket accept failed
java.net.SocketException: Too many open files
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.accept(PlainSocketImpl.java:408)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.implAccept(ServerSocket.java:462)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.accept(ServerSocket.java:430)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.DefaultServerSocketFactory.acceptSocket(DefaultServerSocketFactory.java:61)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Acceptor.run(JIoEndpoint.java:352)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

ulimit -a gives for the user where Tomcat is running.

open files                      (-n) 4096

Please let me know what could be the issue here and how can i resolve this 'Too many open
files' issue.

Thanks
-G