tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jerry Malcolm <>
Subject Logging - including host name in log file?
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2011 02:21:06 GMT
I'm trying to get my hands around the whole tomcat logging system.  I've
read the docs, wikis, samples, etc.  But I still struggling a bit.  I've
been just using System.out.println for years, and it's getting totally out
of control.  So time to learn tomcat logging.

Basically, I host quite a few domains.  I'd like to separate the log files
per host (and possibly further subdivide by webapps).  I can't find any way
to specify the host as part of the logger file handler directory.  This may
be something intuitively obvious.  But I haven't found it yet.

If it can't be configured statically to plug the host name into the log
file name with a variable or something like ${catalina_home}, alternatively
is there a way to change the file name on the fly after getting an instance
of the java.utils.logging.Logger class?