tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: High memory consumption caused by BLOCKED Threads
Date Fri, 23 Dec 2011 05:08:02 GMT
> From: Rainer Jung [mailto:rainer.jung@kippdata.de]
> Subject: Re: High memory consumption caused by BLOCKED Threads

> Hmmm, actually I had a short look at the code of
> sun.util.resources.TimeZoneNames.getContents(TimeZoneNames.java:185)
> and i don't unerstand why it is waiting for a monitor entry.

It appears to be an internal JVM monitor, possibly set when GC is running.  I suspect that
the JVM is completely out of heap space, causing the threads to hang, rather than hanging
threads causing heap exhaustion.  GC may be releasing just enough memory to allow some activities
to proceed rather than throwing an OOME, but then restarting GC right away.

Examine the heap using jhat or other profiler and see who's eating the memory.

 - Chuck