tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Do I Have Java Memory Fragmentation?
Date Mon, 19 Dec 2011 19:24:37 GMT
> From: Robinson, Eric [mailto:eric.robinson@psmnv.com]
> Subject: Do I Have Java Memory Fragmentation?

> All of this makes me think we have a problem with Java memory
> fragmentation because of having so many instances of Java

Fragmentation doesn't really exist anymore, thanks to paging and garbage collection.  (Except
in very unusual circumstances involving badly coded JNI methods that pin objects unnecessarily;
are you doing that?)

> Can someone recommend a way to diagnose and/or fix this problem?

Look in the Windows logs (event viewer), not the Tomcat ones.  Windows may think you're running
out of memory + swap space.  Raising the -Xmx value for each Tomcat instance will only make
it worse, not better.

 - Chuck