tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: keepalive issue
Date Fri, 16 Dec 2011 13:21:10 GMT
> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
> Subject: Re: keepalive issue

> Since you are under Tomcat 7, you may want to have a look at
> the Executor feature.

Which has been available since at least Tomcat 6 (I'm too lazy to look at the older docs).

> Again, I am not an expert, but if I understand correctly what
> this does, it avoids these "keep-alive" threads sitting around
> doing nothing, and allows them to be used to service requests
> on other connections in the meantime.

No, an <Executor> does nothing of the sort; rather it shares a thread pool across multiple
<Connector>s.

If you want to avoid threads attached to connections, use a <Connector> other than the
basic one:

Look at the table at the bottom of the page for a comparison of <Connector> types.
The "Wait for next request" row is the one of interest here.

 - Chuck