tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: path used for tc-natuve
Date Thu, 15 Dec 2011 19:25:59 GMT
> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
> Subject: Re: path used for tc-natuve

> This left me intellectually unsatisfied, because I still
> did not know how Tomcat6 was finding this old tc-native,

Already told you: dlopen() is required to look in /usr/lib - as a last resort.  Check out
the man page for that API.

> there is nothing really obvious in the documentation which
> explains where it is looking. (Probably because to Real Java
> Programmers, this is too obvious; but I am not a Real Java
> Programmer).

Nothing to do with Java; it's platform-specific, so Java-only programmers wouldn't know either.

> I believe that if, in the script which starts Tomcat6, I would add
> something like export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/tomcat6/bin:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> that might do the trick as far as tc-native is concerned.

Only if there were something in /opt/tomcat6/bin to find; if not dlopen() will keep looking
until it hits /usr/lib.

> The JVM is native code, so it looks along it's own "library path"
> to find the desired module.

No, the JVM just calls dlopen() and lets the linker figure out where to look.  The parameter
to dlopen() may include a path, but usually doesn't, in which case the standard list of places
is employed.

 - Chuck