tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Form-based Login question
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2011 04:46:22 GMT
> From: Jerry Malcolm [mailto:2ndgenfilms@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Form-based Login question

> Before I start, any words of advice for migrating?  Should
> it be relatively painless

It's pretty painless, if your webapps are well-behaved.  Tomcat 7 is better at detecting errors
(e.g., memory leaks) and enforcing compliance with the spec.  Read the migration guide:

http://tomcat.apache.org/migration.html

> (e.g. install, copy current server.xml, and go?)

Never, never, never copy your current server.xml to a new version of Tomcat.  (Can't emphasize
that enough.)  Lots of configuration tags have changed, disappeared, or have been added.
Read the config docs for the target level, then apply the differences between your server.xml
and the 5.5 original to the 7.0 server.xml, adjusting for the aforementioned config changes.

And if you're still keeping <Context> elements in server.xml, now is your opportunity
to eliminate that archaic behavior.

 - Chuck