tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: [OT]RE: Maximum memory that can be assigned to Tomcat on windows platform
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2011 13:30:58 GMT
> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
> Subject: Re: [OT]RE: Maximum memory that can be assigned to Tomcat on windows platform

> > In general: the bigger heap, the longer GC will run.

Not strictly true, and hasn't been true for many years.  GC time is proportional to the number
of live (reachable) objects, not the size of the heap.  If the app is making heavy use of
weak references, this may allow more live objects to persist in a larger heap until GC gets
fed up with the mess and throws them all away.

> Why do I feel that a comment from Chuck is going to follow
> that one later on ?

Just had to wake up first.

 - Chuck