tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Saravanan L <saravan...@te-soft.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat HTTPS Connector Stops working after an hour
Date Tue, 27 Dec 2011 10:47:49 GMT
3. A 504 response code is a gateway timeout. Tomcat does not issue this
on its own. Either you have a proxy in front of Tomcat or your
application is returning this value.

A. Yes the proxy relayed this message,  it seems the tomcat did not
respond with any message at all.

looks like 200 idle threads to me.

In comet idle threads are fine rights. Thats how comet/nio works right. Please correct me
on this.

On 12/27/2011 4:03 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 27/12/2011 08:55, Saravanan L wrote:
>> Tried netstat. 443 is listening, but I cannot connect to it.
> I assume it shows no open connections either.
>
>> Secondly Thread dump - I could not find any signs of problem or anything
>> relative to the current issue in the threaddump [Please find the
>> threaddump in my previous post].
> Yep, that looks like 200 idle threads to me.
>

> Looking back through this thread I see a number of most likely unrelated
> issues being treated as the same problem.
>
> Reviewing the thread:
>
> 1. acceptCount=10000 is a crazily high number. That you see odd effects
> with this does not surprise me. acceptCount is only for handling
> infrequent, short, very high spikes in load.
>
> 2. maxThreads=5000 is very high. Given that you handled ~10k requests in
> 2 hours it appears that maxThreads should be reduced by several orders
> of magnitude.
>
> 3. A 504 response code is a gateway timeout. Tomcat does not issue this
> on its own. Either you have a proxy in front of Tomcat or your
> application is returning this value.
>
> 4. There are settings in your server.xml that were dropped a couple of
> versions ago.
>

> I suggest the following:
> - restore the threadpool and acceptcount defaults
> - remove the old settings
>

> Run your tests and then diagnose the fault that appears. If you need
> pointers, ask here.
>

> Mark

Regards
*Saravanan.L*

This message and any attachment(s) contained here are information that is confidential, proprietary
to TE Software Services and its customers. Contents may be privileged or otherwise protected
by law. The information is solely intended for the individual or the entity it is addressed
to. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are not authorized to read,
forward, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received
this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete it
from your computer.