tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: High memory consumption caused by BLOCKED Threads
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2011 19:00:45 GMT
Chuck,

On 22.12.2011 14:07, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: David kerber [mailto:dckerber@verizon.net]
>> Subject: Re: High memory consumption caused by BLOCKED Threads
>
>> Fix your app so that it releases the locks (probably synchronized
>> sections) on the SimpleDateFormat objects.
>
> Read the stack trace more carefully - only Tomcat or JRE code is present.  However, since
this is only a partial stack trace, there might be some app code that is indirectly locking
0x00007ff9996d4000 and then pausing for some reason, causing a deadlock.

Hmmm, actually I had a short look at the code of

sun.util.resources.TimeZoneNames.getContents(TimeZoneNames.java:185)

and i don't unerstand why it is waiting for a monitor entry. The method
should quickly return an array of objects which is explicitely defined
in the class and that's it. No idea what's happening here.

@Violeta: is anything wrong with your system, e.g. did you get an
OutOfMemoryError somewhere? It looks your JVM is in a strange state. Are
you doing frequent redeployments without stopping Tomcat?

Regards,

Rainer