tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "r.sriram" <sri...@rstech.net>
Subject Re: Hosted environment
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2011 12:12:31 GMT

On 12/22/2011 2:45 PM, Pid wrote:
> On 22/12/2011 01:27, r.sriram wrote:
>> you sound quite obnoxious and you don't seem to have any valid answers
>> other than insulting others.
> Oh no, you're quite mistaken, if I was being obnoxious I would be using
> a different tone entirely.  I would probably make some offhand comments
> about limited ability and so forth, but I'm not being obnoxious, I'm
> trying to help you.
great. it is obvious isn't it that I have limited ability in this area;
I wouldn't be the one asking the questions if I were the expert would I?
>> I need my virtual host to work.
> Plainly.
and it now works, once I put one small change with the last e-mail Mark
sent. I have configured for localhost foo and it works as expected;
didn't have a need for anything other than what was there in Mark's
guide.  thanks Mark.
>> I need to configure Tomcat to make it work.
> Yes, get to the point.
And here is the point: However, when I configure exactly the same way as
foo for a domain name www.x.com for example, it doesn't work. And here
is the situation:

    I am using hosted environment with Go Daddy with Plesk 10. This
    environment has created C:\inetpub\vhosts\x.com\httpdocs where
    index.html resides. When I access www.x.com from an outside
    computer, I am expecting it to go to
    C:\Apache\hosts\x.com-host\webapps\ROOT, reach web.xml in WEB-INF
    (and not web-inf) and reach the appropriate servlet for processing.
    But it doesn't, it picks up index.html! Question 1: is there any
    other configuration I need to do. what specifically is it and what I
    need to do there (yes I have limited knowledge and I cannot get any
    more explicit than this).

>> Mark provided specific steps and I followed it, but it didn't
>> work.
> You need to do more than blindly copy instructions without understanding
> them.
wrong!

>> I need specifically why it didn't work.
> Because a) you follow the instructions incorrectly and b) you completely
> ignored the simple explanation and hints I was giving you.
not important so I will let this pass.

>> do you have any suggestions, or you can let others answer.
> Re-read the emails I sent in this thread.  One at a time.
> When you've done what I suggested come back and let us know.

I did, quite thoroughly and I am none the wiser.
>> and bottom-posting annoys me.
> This comment is childish.  The reason that most of us don't like to see
> top-posting is that this is a public mailing list and anyone could be
> reading the conversation at some point in the future to learn from
> someone else's experience.
>
> If the conversation flow jumps up&  down the page, it makes it much,
> much harder to follow.
>
> As you are not paying for the expert help you're getting here, you might
> consider that the price is doing things our way.
got it. I felt the same way about your top-posting comment. I now know
the reason for that comment and definitely makes sense and will follow
it rigorously, for sure. I have used this forum for 10+years but
infrequently and so have not picked up the unwritten etiquette. and
quite correct about the expert advice I am getting in this forum and the
need to follow the etiquette.
looking forward to getting the expert advice that will get me up and
running.... thanks.....rs