tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: AJP 1.3 Connector
Date Mon, 19 Dec 2011 21:26:32 GMT
I'll continue to top-post, since you do.
(Note that this is not the most logical way to have a conversation; it is easier when
questions and responses follow a logical top-down order).

- your Tomcat AJP Connector looks OK
- you can connect with a browser to the HTTP port of Tomcat, and with the URI "/", you get

the Tomcat homepage
- you can ping the Tomcat server from the Apache httpd server
- from the Apache httpd server, you can telnet to port 8009 of the Tomcat server
- if you remove the "JkMount" directive from the Apache httpd configuration, you get the
expected Apache httpd page
- if you insert the JkMount directive, you get a message saying that Tomcat cannot be reached
Obviously, something is wrong in the above list.  If, from the command-line on the Apache

httpd host, you can establish a TCP connection to the Tomcat host on port 8009 using
telnet, then there is no immediate reason why mod_jk should not be able to do the same.

Unless mod_jk is trying to connect to some other host than the one running Tomcat.

The thing which causes a bit of doubt there, is that in your workers.properties file, you

use the hostname "server2.ourlab.com" for Tomcat, while in all your other checks and
messages, you use the hostname "tomcatappserver".
Is this just a matter of typing and censoring, or are these really two different names ?
Or are they really two different hosts ?
That they /should/ be the same host, does not necessarily mean that they /are/.

Can you confirm that using the /same/ hostname in your workers.properties file and in your

ping and telnet tests, everything goes as you have described it so far ?

Note that you can also use the JkLogFile and JkLogLevel directives, to get more explicit
error messages from mod_jk. But seen the above, it would probably just tell you that it
cannot connect to "server2".

Troy-McKoy, Vickie wrote:
> Yes.  From the apache host, I pinged and telneted the tomcat host.
>
>  # ping tomcatappserver
> PING tomcatappserver (nn.n.nn.nnn) 56(84) bytes of data.
> 64 bytes from tomcatappserver (nn.n.nn.nnn): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.140 ms
>

> # telnet tomcatappserver 8009
> Trying nn.n.nn.nnn...
> Connected to tomcatappserver (nn.n.nn.nnn).
> Escape character is '^]'.
> Connection closed by foreign host.
>
> When I attempt to connect to the tomcatappserver via the apachewebserver, in firefox
browser I get:  "Unable to connect".  "Firefox can't establish a connection to the serer at
tomcatappserver:8009."

> I just noticed if I put in the browser, the tomcatappserver url with the default port,
I get the Apache Tomcat/7.0.14 page.  But, if I put in the apachewebserver url with the default
port, I get this message:

> Service Temporarily Unavailable
> The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime
or capacity problems. Please try again later.
> Apache/2.0.64 (Unix) mod_jk/1.2.32 Server at xxxxx Port 80
>

> When I remove the JkMount and JkWorkersFile from httpd.conf, I get the default Apache
web server page.

*as configured* (i.e. server2.ourlab.com)?

> What's the exact error message you're getting and which component (browser, apache) is
reporting it?

>>> worker.server2.port=8009
>>> worker.server2.host=server2.ourlab.com
>>> worker.server2.type=ajp13
>>> worker.server2.lbfactor=1