tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: path used for tc-natuve
Date Wed, 14 Dec 2011 07:57:51 GMT
Christopher Schultz wrote:

> Chuck,
>
> On 12/12/11 8:27 PM, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>>> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com] Subject: Re: path used
>>> for tc-natuve
>>> And if I do this, where do I put the result, in such a way that
>>> it doesn't overwrite the  existing one used by tomcat5.5 ?
>> One would normally place it in Tomcat's bin directory, and set
>> LD_LIBRARY_PATH or -Djava.library.path to point there.  It's a bit
>> scary (and rude) to put it in a public place.
>
> +1
>
> I think Andre's original problem wasn't with tcnative, but with
> libapr. If you build the new tcnative dynamically-linked, then you're
> going to have the same problem.
>
> Other possibilities include building everything (libapr and
> libtcnative) and putting them into, say, CATALINA_HOME/bin. I recently
> had a fun (read: miserable) time doing this with 2 versions of each
> (total of 4 possibilities) along with 2 libssl versions at the same
> time. Trying to trump the system-level libraries requires that you
> cover all your bases, otherwise some library name (like
> libapr.1.4.2.so) will not override /usr/lib/libapr.1.so. Make sure
> you've got all your symlinks right :)

Well, yes.  And that's exactly why, for the time being, I have decided to do without
tc-native.  The first line I saw in the tc-native source README was something like "to
build, you may need OpenSSL xx .." and then I started getting cold feet, remembering my
previous experiences going along the dependencies-from-hell route umpteen times before.
And in this case, we're talking indeed about a system which already has all those nice
symlinks all over the place..
What is it he said ? "once you give in to the dark side of the Force, forever dominate you

it will.."
If apt-get is the dark side, then I guess I'm already on Darth's side.