tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Antonios Kogias <co...@hua.gr>
Subject Re: Tomcat 7 Valve not logging correct response size
Date Fri, 09 Dec 2011 19:02:51 GMT
On 12/5/2011 9:29 AM, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> 2011/12/5 Antonios Kogias<coyas@hua.gr>:
>> Good morning,
>>
>>   I'm using Tomcat 7.0.16 and a Valve in the server.xml file that uses the %B
>> option to log the "Bytes sent, excluding HTTP headers"
>> (http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/valve.html).
>>
>> <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve"
>> directory="logs"
>>                prefix="localhost_access_log." suffix=".txt"
>>                pattern="%H %p %m %D %s %B %a %t&quot;%r&quot;"
>> resolveHosts="false"/>
>>
>> This works correctly for small response size (up to 30-40 kB), but for
>> bigger sizes it doesn't; it only writes zero as response size in the web
>> access log (I have tested that with 100 kB and 1000 kB static files).
>>
>> Any idea why is that happening and what can be done to overcome?
>>
>> Antonios
>>
>> PS. OS is MS Windows XP 32bit SP3
> 1. What happens with 7.0.23?
> 2. Are you sure that the file was delivered to the client? Was the
> time taken to process the request greater than zero? Was ir response
> 200 OK, or 304 Not modified? In the latter case the file is not sent,
> because the clint already has a copy of it.
> 3. What connectors are you using and what are their settings?
>
> Best regards,
> Konstantin Kolinko

*1. What happens with 7.0.23?*

I tried 7.0.23 with the same results.

Files of 1k, 10k, 25k get logged correctly, but files greater than that
(50k, 75k, 100k, 1000k) are logged as size zero(0).

*2. Are you sure that the file was delivered to the client? Was the*

*time taken to process the request greater than zero? Was ir response*

*200 OK, or 304 Not modified? In the latter case the file is not sent,*

*because the clint already has a copy of it.*

The files were all correctly delivered to the client.
The time taken to process the request (option %D) is greater than zero
most of the time, with occasional zeroes.
All responses are 200 OK.

*3. What connectors are you using and what are their settings?*
In the experiment I'm running, I'm using the following simple Connector
(server.xml):
<Connector

port="8080"

protocol="HTTP/1.1"

connectionTimeout="20000"

redirectPort="8443"

maxThreads="1"

acceptCount="1"

maxConnections="1"

maxKeepAliveRequests="1"

/>

There are four different settings for the experiments:
maxThreads=1 acceptCount=1 ,maxConnections=2
maxThreads=1 acceptCount=100 ,maxConnections=101

maxThreads=100 acceptCount=1 ,maxConnections=101

maxThreads=100 acceptCount=100 ,maxConnections=200

However, the same behavior as described in (1) above consistently
appears in any setting.