tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jacob Champlin <jac...@rentec.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 7.0.23 won't start
Date Thu, 08 Dec 2011 15:04:18 GMT
 > Add a Realm definition or wait until 7.0.24.  There's a bug in 7.0.23.

I am waiting for 7.0.24.

 > I'm wincing as I ask: is there a particular reason that you're defining
 > the Context in server.xml - it's been strongly recommended to not do
 > that for quite a while.

Okay, I will byte.

Practical:  This was my sandbox config file.  I switch between 6
different applications.  I do this by switching server.xml files when I
switch projects.  This keeps things minimal (not starting up 6
connection pools), its easier to switch one file, and it makes restarts
faster.

Opinion:  I hate over decomposition and I preferred the days when tomcat
was only configured with server.xml.  Tomcat's configuration is not that
complicated, do we really need a bunch of configuration files.  Its bad
when one thing becomes two, and hence good when two things become one.
I bet your also in the micro kernel camp.  I know lots of people
clamored for being able to configure the connection pool in there war
file.  I don't know why anyone would do this, our WAR file runs in any
environment where the jndi name is present.  They have to build separate
WAR files for each environment.  Basicly I think the context.xml is
stupid.  If it matters so much change the document definition.