tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: AJP connection timeout setting/Tomcat 6 vs. 7 questions
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2011 20:25:49 GMT
Kari Scott wrote:

> We are running Tomcat 6. 0.32 with jdk1.6.0_26 on Solaris 10, mod_ajp 1.3  and Apache
2.2.21 on all but one production server which is the same except for it's running Tomcat 7.0.21.

> I have some questions regarding connection timeout settings. Occasionally, when the site
is busier we see jumps in the number of connections to 8009 and then that number stays high
for about 30 minutes before settling back down into our average range. A thread dump shows
that these connections correspond to these socket threads:

> "TP-Processor222" daemon prio=3 tid=0x00c76400 nid=0x5669 runnable [0x8cf7f000]
>    java.lang.Thread.State: RUNNABLE
>         at java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead0(Native Method)
>         at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:129)
>         at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStream.java:218)
>         at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read1(BufferedInputStream.java:258)
>         at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:317)
>         - locked <0xcb2a0eb0> (a java.io.BufferedInputStream)
>         at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.read(ChannelSocket.java:628)
>         at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.receive(ChannelSocket.java:566)
>         at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.processConnection(ChannelSocket.java:693)
>         at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket$SocketConnection.runIt(ChannelSocket.java:898)
>         at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:690)
>

> The problem isn't so much that they stick around, but when these first start increasing,
there is a noticeable hit in performance and evidence that threads are waiting for resources.
Oddly, the one trial Tomcat 7 server with the same connector, load and code never experiences
this problem. We currently don't have a connectionTimeout specified for our connector so my
plan is to try the following:

>    <Connector port="8009" protocol="AJP/1.3" connectionTimeout="20000" redirectPort="8443"
/>

> Here are my questions:
>
> *Do I also need to set the connection_pool_timeout in the worker? Or is that the one
I should be changing instead of connectionTimeout?

> *Is there a different time out setting I should be looking at?
>
> *Is there an easy explanation as to why Tomcat 7 never experiences this issue? I'm just
wondering (o.k. hoping) that there is some magic Tomcat 7 default setting some place that
we can add to our Tomcat 6 environments that can help us out until we've upgraded everything.

Just a question, to add to your excellent summary above : in your front-end server
configuration, what are the settings related to keep-alive ?

And maybe, can you provide an example of the server.xml (comments and sensitive info
removed) for both a server which experiences the issue, and for the 7.0 server which
doesn't ? (paste them inside the message, the list strips most attachments).