tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Terence M. Bandoian" <tere...@tmbsw.com>
Subject Re: Logging
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2011 08:28:28 GMT
  On 1:59 PM, Christopher Schultz wrote:

> Thom,
>
> On 12/1/11 9:39 AM, Thom Hehl wrote:
>> I'm not sure. Whichever log file the stack traces goto. Yes,
>> they're writing to a local drive. Yes as a windows service which
>> came with the installer.
> As Pid says, it's all configurable.
>
> The log files that Tomcat itself opens are controlled by
> logging.properties and, AFAIK, not buffered.
>
> Running Tomcat as a Windows Service usually uses a service wrapped
> that dumps stdout to stdout.txt or stdout.log or whatever. I believe
> that is also not buffered.
>
> If your webapp is doing any of it's own logging, then you are
> completely at the mercy of whatever component is configuring that
> logging system, and it has nothing to do with Tomcat.
>
> If you could tell us the name of the file, it might help because there
> are certain filenames that are likely to be Tomcat-generated and
> others are likely to be webapp-generated. Saying "I dunno, the one
> where the logs go" is not helpful.
>
> Thanks,
> - -chris

Hi, Thom-

See http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/logging.html for Tomcat 6.
Search for bufferSize which appears to work as documented on my system.

Also, with Tomcat 6 executing as a Windows service, calls to
System.out.println on my system are written to stdout_YYYYMMDD.log in
the Tomcat logs directory.  There does not appear to be any buffering
nor any way to control buffering of output to System.out.

What you're experiencing may be related to file locking on Windows.  Try
opening a log file in Notepad without stopping Tomcat after you're sure
something has been output to that file.  The most recent output should
be included.

-Terence Bandoian