tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pid <>
Subject Re: Logging
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2011 15:55:25 GMT
On 01/12/2011 14:39, Thom Hehl wrote:
> I'm not sure. Whichever log file the stack traces goto. Yes, they're writing to a local
drive. Yes as a windows service which came with the installer.

Well, given that this is configurable, it could be anywhere...

You could find out & let us know.  A precise answer may help us explain
why you're seeing a behavior that is unusual.

I need to see it in the log, but instead, the log is still in the buffer. Usually I have to
shutdown the server and start it back up to get the log entries. I'd just like to be able
to flush the logs without shutting down the server.
> Is this happening for all of your log files?  or just a specific one?
> If specific, what is the name of the log file where this is occurring?
> Also, can you confirm that Tomcat is writing the log file to a local
> disk and not a remote share like Samba or NFS?
> Lastly, you said you're running Tomcat 7.0.20 as a daemon.  I'm assuming
> this means you're running it as a Windows Service.  Please correct me if
> I'm wrong.  Are you using the service wrapper that ships with Tomcat or
> are you using a different one?  Like Java Service Wrapper
> (
> Dan
The problem is that this is a test server and so it may take days to dump the log I need.
So the tool reading it is not the problem, it's the fact that tomcat hasn't flushed to the
file yet.
>> Can you explain a little more about where what is generating log data and into which
log it is being written?
>> How long is the delay between when you expect the event to happen and the emission
of a log record?
>>> Oh, contraire...although one of the hardest editors to learn to use (IBM's XEDIT
comes to mind as equally hard) vi is the best editor to use EVER.