tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pid <...@pidster.com>
Subject Re: Logging
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2011 14:54:30 GMT
On 01/12/2011 14:10, Pid wrote:
> On 01/12/2011 14:01, Thom Hehl wrote:
>> I'm looking for stack traces. People report defects and we get a stack trace and
I need to see it in the log, but instead, the log is still in the buffer. Usually I have to
shutdown the server and start it back up to get the log entries. I'd just like to be able
to flush the logs without shutting down the server.

(I sent this direct, somehow by accident)

> (Please don't top post.)
>
> Yes, it's this 'buffering' problem that I'm interested in as I do not
> see this in my own copies of Tomcat, nor in the ones I observe in my
> professional capacity.
>
> This is why I asked for:
>
>  a) which log file
>  b) what is generating the log message
>
> If you can also provide an example of a stack trace that was only
> flushed during shutdown, that would also be good.

The problem is that this is a test server and so it may take days to dump the log I need.
So the tool reading it is not the problem, it's the fact that tomcat hasn't flushed to the
file yet.

>> Can you explain a little more about where what is generating log data and into which
log it is being written?

>> How long is the delay between when you expect the event to happen and the emission
of a log record?

>>> Oh, contraire...although one of the hardest editors to learn to use (IBM's XEDIT
comes to mind as equally hard) vi is the best editor to use EVER.