tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kari Scott <Kari.Sc...@cdw.com>
Subject AJP connection timeout setting/Tomcat 6 vs. 7 questions
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2011 20:19:23 GMT

We are running Tomcat 6. 0.32 with jdk1.6.0_26 on Solaris 10, mod_ajp 1.3  and Apache 2.2.21
on all but one production server which is the same except for it's running Tomcat 7.0.21.

I have some questions regarding connection timeout settings. Occasionally, when the site is
busier we see jumps in the number of connections to 8009 and then that number stays high for
about 30 minutes before settling back down into our average range. A thread dump shows that
these connections correspond to these socket threads:

"TP-Processor222" daemon prio=3 tid=0x00c76400 nid=0x5669 runnable [0x8cf7f000]
   java.lang.Thread.State: RUNNABLE
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStream.java:218)
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read1(BufferedInputStream.java:258)
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:317)
        - locked <0xcb2a0eb0> (a java.io.BufferedInputStream)
        at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.read(ChannelSocket.java:628)
        at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.receive(ChannelSocket.java:566)
        at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.processConnection(ChannelSocket.java:693)
        at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket$SocketConnection.runIt(ChannelSocket.java:898)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:690)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

The problem isn't so much that they stick around, but when these first start increasing, there
is a noticeable hit in performance and evidence that threads are waiting for resources. Oddly,
the one trial Tomcat 7 server with the same connector, load and code never experiences this
problem. We currently don't have a connectionTimeout specified for our connector so my plan
is to try the following:

   <Connector port="8009" protocol="AJP/1.3" connectionTimeout="20000" redirectPort="8443"
/>

Here are my questions:

*Do I also need to set the connection_pool_timeout in the worker? Or is that the one I should
be changing instead of connectionTimeout?

*Is there a different time out setting I should be looking at?

*Is there an easy explanation as to why Tomcat 7 never experiences this issue? I'm just wondering
(o.k. hoping) that there is some magic Tomcat 7 default setting some place that we can add
to our Tomcat 6 environments that can help us out until we've upgraded everything.

Thank you,
Kari

Kari Scott
Senior Programmer