tomcat-users mailing list archives

From <oh...@cox.net>
Subject Re: Do any of the Tomcat LDAP-type realms support "no password" authentication?
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2011 04:29:30 GMT

---- ohaya@cox.net wrote:

> > ---- "André Warnier" <aw@ice-sa.com> wrote:

etc.) support an authentication mode where no password or credentials are required?  In other
words, where just a userID/username is presented, and if that userID/username is present in
the LDAP, then the user gets authenticated?

LDAP (which is just

reverse-proxying (using mod_proxy, for now) to the Tomcat.

and we also have a web agent/module that authenticates the user into a commercial SSO product.
 After the user is authenticated, the requests that go to/get proxied to the Tomcat have some
HTTP headers, including a header containing the userID of the user that got authenticated
by the SSO product.

the code in my valve sees the HTTP header with the authenticated userID, it "asserts" the
user into Tomcat.

where "paramRequest" is the org.apache.catalina.connector.Request object.

I'm kind of new to Tomcat security, but at that time, I *thought* that after my valve did
the setUserPrincipal(), that the user had to somehow be authenticated into the Tomcat realm
(i.e., that the asserted userID had to actually exist in the Tomcat realm).

in the valve code successfully, and from some test JSP pages I use, I can see that when the
JSP calls request.getUserPrincipal(), it appears to return the asserted user.

the default realm (the one that uses tomcat-user.xml for the user base), with only the default
set of dummy users.

just works, even when the userID that I assert is not in the Tomcat realm!

(tomcat, etc.), but if I send a request into the Tomcat with a header with a userID of "foobar"
(and even though there is no user "foobar" in the Tomcat realm), things seem to work ok, i.e.,
my JSP displays "foobar" for request.getUserPrincipal().

 Specifically, now I'm wondering:  With what I described above, and with my valve as described
above, does the asserted user NOT have to be in the Tomcat realm at all?

Tomcat doesn't "care" whether the user that I'm asserting actually exists or doesn't exist
in the Tomcat realm?

something about how Tomcat security works...

> > > Better a long and clear post, than a short and obscure one.
> > >
> > > Two things :
> > >
> > > I am not really a Tomcat expert, and this will need to be corroborated by one
of them, but
> > > it seems that I remember a not-too-long-ago thread in this same forum, in which
it came
> > > out that if there is already a user-id known to Tomcat, it will not even bother
to run its
> > > own authentication code.  That is said in non-expert terms, but I'm sure someone
here will
> > > correct that if need be.
> > >
> > > The other thing is that you may be doing a lot of work for nothing.
> > > If you would use either one of the mod_proxy_ajp or the mod_jk Apache module
as a
> > > connector to Tomcat, then this connector will automatically pass the authenticated
Apache
> > > user to Tomcat with every request, and you would not need your Valve.
> > > Have a look at the TomcatAJP <Connector> description, attribute "tomcatAuthentication".
> > > http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/ajp.html
> > >
> > > This being said, make sure that the connection between Apache and Tomcat is
reasonably
> > > secure (for example, within the same host or over an internal network), because
the AJP
> > > protocol (although in part binary) is not itself encrypted.
> > > No user password is passed over it (only the user-id), but a hacker could in
theory
> > > intercept the packets, and replace one user-id by another.
> > >

> > Hi Andre,
> >
> > Thanks for that info re. AJP.  I will definitely take a look (test) that, as even
if I/we pursue the valve I'm working on, it'd be a nice thing to have as an option (e.g.,
if someone doesn't want to use mod_ajp, they could use my valve, but if they use mod_ajp,
then they wouldn't need the valve!

> > If you can remember, can you either provide a link or maybe the subject for that
thread you referenced?  I'd be very interested in reviewing it.

> > Thanks again for all the great info!
> >
> > Jim
> >

> Hi Andre (et al),
>
> I've been testing with AJP and Tomcat.  From what I've read, it looks like that tomcatAuthentication
looks for an HTTP header, "REMOTE_USER" that contains the userID that it will authenticate/assert
into Tomcat.

> At this point, I can proxy to Tomcat using AJP fine, but it looks like the user is not
being authenticated within Tomcat.  It looks like to me, the "REMOTE_USER" HTTP header is
"(null)", instead of containing a userID.

> I've tried a bunch of stuff in my Apache httpd.conf, using RequestHeader and also several
different rewrite rules, but still can't get this to work.

> Does anyone have a reliable way to populate the REMOTE_USER header, when using AJP connector?
>
> Also, I'm a little unclear about whether the "tomcatAuthentication" in the AJP connector
should be set to "true" or "false"?

> Finally, is there a way to configure Tomcat so that it outputs some debug logging for
the AJP connector, e.g., so I can see exactly what headers it IS seeing?  I have a sniffer
on, but it's hard to see what's in the AJP connection protocol.

> Thanks, and sorry for all of the questions!
>
> Jim

Hi,

Also, BTW, I just did a test where, in the Apache httpd.conf, I hard-coded REMOTE_USER header
using RequestHeader.

In my sniffer, I can see the REMOTE_USER set to the hard-coded string, but in my test JSP
on Tomcat, there getUserPrincipal() is returning null.  I've tried this test with 'tomcatAuthentication'
attribute in server.xml set to both "true" and "false", with the same results :(...

Jim