tomcat-users mailing list archives

From <oh...@cox.net>
Subject Re: Do any of the Tomcat LDAP-type realms support "no password" authentication?
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2011 04:18:47 GMT

---- ohaya@cox.net wrote:

> ---- "André Warnier" <aw@ice-sa.com> wrote:
> > ohaya@cox.net wrote:

support an authentication mode where no password or credentials are required?  In other words,
where just a userID/username is presented, and if that userID/username is present in the LDAP,
then the user gets authenticated?

HUGE security

> > > Hi Andre,
> > >
> > > Sorry.  I should have been clearer in my explanation and my question, so let
me try again.

> > > Our configuration has an Apache in front of the Tomcat, with the Apache reverse-proxying
(using mod_proxy, for now) to the Tomcat.

> > > In the Apache proxy, we do client-authenticated certificate authentication,
and we also have a web agent/module that authenticates the user into a commercial SSO product.
 After the user is authenticated, the requests that go to/get proxied to the Tomcat have some
HTTP headers, including a header containing the userID of the user that got authenticated
by the SSO product.

> > > I've been working on Tomcat valve that does "ID assertion", i.e., when the
code in my valve sees the HTTP header with the authenticated userID, it "asserts" the user
into Tomcat.

> > > Specifically,  my valve code calls org.apache.catalina.connector.Request.setUserPrincipal(getPrincipal(paramRequest)),
where "paramRequest" is the org.apache.catalina.connector.Request object.

> > > When I posted my message, I had just started on my valve code.  As I said,
I'm kind of new to Tomcat security, but at that time, I *thought* that after my valve did
the setUserPrincipal(), that the user had to somehow be authenticated into the Tomcat realm
(i.e., that the asserted userID had to actually exist in the Tomcat realm).

> > > I've since gotten an initial version of my valve code kind of working, but
I'm still a little.

> > > I can get the userID from the request header and call the setUserPrincipal()
in the valve code successfully, and from some test JSP pages I use, I can see that when the
JSP calls request.getUserPrincipal(), it appears to return the asserted user.

> > > The thing that is puzzling me is that, on my test Tomcat, I just have the default
realm (the one that uses tomcat-user.xml for the user base), with only the default set of
dummy users.

> > > And yet, when I test with my valve and the test JSP, it appears that everything
just works, even when the userID that I assert is not in the Tomcat realm!

> > > For example, I guess in the default realm, there's only a comple of users (tomcat,
etc.), but if I send a request into the Tomcat with a header with a userID of "foobar" (and
even though there is no user "foobar" in the Tomcat realm), things seem to work ok, i.e.,
my JSP displays "foobar" for request.getUserPrincipal().

> > > Having said all of that, I guess that my question has changed somewhat.  Specifically,
now I'm wondering:  With what I described above, and with my valve as described above, does
the asserted user NOT have to be in the Tomcat realm at all?

> > > It's almost like, with Tomcat, when my valve code calls setUserPrincipal(),
Tomcat doesn't "care" whether the user that I'm asserting actually exists or doesn't exist
in the Tomcat realm?

> > > Again, as I said, I'm new, so I may  (and probably am) misunderstanding something
about how Tomcat security works...

> > > Sorry for the longish post, but I hope that things are clearer now?
> > >

> > Better a long and clear post, than a short and obscure one.
> >
> > Two things :
> >
> > I am not really a Tomcat expert, and this will need to be corroborated by one of
them, but
> > it seems that I remember a not-too-long-ago thread in this same forum, in which
it came
> > out that if there is already a user-id known to Tomcat, it will not even bother
to run its
> > own authentication code.  That is said in non-expert terms, but I'm sure someone
here will
> > correct that if need be.
> >
> > The other thing is that you may be doing a lot of work for nothing.
> > If you would use either one of the mod_proxy_ajp or the mod_jk Apache module as
> > connector to Tomcat, then this connector will automatically pass the authenticated
Apache
> > user to Tomcat with every request, and you would not need your Valve.
> > Have a look at the TomcatAJP <Connector> description, attribute "tomcatAuthentication".
> > http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/ajp.html
> >
> > This being said, make sure that the connection between Apache and Tomcat is reasonably

> > secure (for example, within the same host or over an internal network), because
the AJP
> > protocol (although in part binary) is not itself encrypted.
> > No user password is passed over it (only the user-id), but a hacker could in theory

> > intercept the packets, and replace one user-id by another.
> >

> Hi Andre,
>
> Thanks for that info re. AJP.  I will definitely take a look (test) that, as even if
I/we pursue the valve I'm working on, it'd be a nice thing to have as an option (e.g., if
someone doesn't want to use mod_ajp, they could use my valve, but if they use mod_ajp, then
they wouldn't need the valve!

> If you can remember, can you either provide a link or maybe the subject for that thread
you referenced?  I'd be very interested in reviewing it.

> Thanks again for all the great info!
>
> Jim

Hi Andre (et al),

I've been testing with AJP and Tomcat.  From what I've read, it looks like that tomcatAuthentication
looks for an HTTP header, "REMOTE_USER" that contains the userID that it will authenticate/assert
into Tomcat.

At this point, I can proxy to Tomcat using AJP fine, but it looks like the user is not being
authenticated within Tomcat.  It looks like to me, the "REMOTE_USER" HTTP header is "(null)",
instead of containing a userID.

I've tried a bunch of stuff in my Apache httpd.conf, using RequestHeader and also several
different rewrite rules, but still can't get this to work.

Does anyone have a reliable way to populate the REMOTE_USER header, when using AJP connector?

Also, I'm a little unclear about whether the "tomcatAuthentication" in the AJP connector should
be set to "true" or "false"?

Finally, is there a way to configure Tomcat so that it outputs some debug logging for the
AJP connector, e.g., so I can see exactly what headers it IS seeing?  I have a sniffer on,
but it's hard to see what's in the AJP connection protocol.

Thanks, and sorry for all of the questions!

Jim