tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Blaxton <>
Subject Re: MVC or Model2 with Tomcat
Date Thu, 08 Dec 2011 06:07:58 GMT

 From: Blaxton <>
To: Tomcat Users List <>
Sent: Tuesday, December 6, 2011 9:19:00 PM
Subject: Re: MVC or Model2 with Tomcat

 From: Pid * <>
To: Tomcat Users List <>
Sent: Tuesday, December 6, 2011 8:12:40 PM

On 6 Dec 2011, at 15:52, Blaxton <> wrote:
> I have added the host directive to
 server.xml and moved appexmp1 contents to ROOT directory
> and now I can access with no problem,
> however now the servlets are not working.
> I can access jsp files, but no servlets, I get "The requested resource is not available"
> as with following direction:
> I have created /Catalina_BASE/appexmp1/ROOT/META-INF/context.xml

Ok, please remove the comments from your server.xml and post it inline, here.

> I have placed a HelloWorld.class file in /Catalina_BASE/appname/ROOT/WEB-INF/classes/com/mydomain
> but can't access the class through

How have you defined the Servlet in

> tried following context file variations but didn't work:
> <Context path="/app1" docBase="." debug="0" reloadable="true" crossContext="true">
> </Context>

Never do the above.

> <Context path="/app1" docBase="ROOT" debug="0" reloadable="true" crossContext="true">
> </Context>

Or that.

The 'path' attribute is not applicable here - in any case it's wrong.

Remove the path and docBase attributes from the ROOT.xml file.

> it seems to me , context file is not being read after adding the host directive to server.xml
> either when it is in /Catalina_BASE/conf/Catalina/local host or now that it is in
> /Catalina_BASE/appexmp1/ROOT/META-INF/context.xml
> thanks for help

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

OK, my mistake, I had JkMount /*.jsp and /app1/* rather than JkMount /* in
changed it as you mentioned to JkMount /* and servlets works now.

Also removed path and docbase from context.xml
so we can't have default application in ROOT and path in context file ?

haven't tried it , but I think we could achieve the same thing with JkAutoAlias
which one is recommended ? JkAutoAlias or adding host directive in server.xml ?

Thank you very much for help
I achieved what i was looking for.

Sorry but there is one more problem.

now that I have JkMount /* in vhost1_httpd.conf
every thing will be forwarded to tomcat other than *.html because there is
a JkUnMount /*.html line in vhost1_httpd.conf but still when I browse I get the tomcat error
"The requested resource() is not available".
why is that ?

I have added welcome directive to web.xml as follow:

and following is DirectoryIndex in vhost1_httpd.conf file:
DirectoryIndex index.jsp index.html index.php

I can access
but getting error when accessing