tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Mikusa <>
Subject Re: Tomcat 5.5 - Context for "MyApp" in MyApp/META-INF/context.xml is always over-writing conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/MyApp.xml
Date Wed, 07 Dec 2011 13:33:03 GMT
On Tue, 2011-12-06 at 18:23 -0800, Peter Smillie wrote:
> According to the Tomcat 5.5 documentation page "tomcat-docs/config/context.html#Introduction"
when Tomcat is trying to decide on the context for a Web application:
> Only if a context file does not exist for the application in the $CATALINA_HOME/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/;
in an individual file at /META-INF/context.xml inside the application files. If the web application
is packaged as a WAR then /META-INF/context.xml will be copied to $CATALINA_HOME/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/
and renamed to match the application's context path. Once this file exists, it will not be
replaced if a new WAR with a newer /META-INF/context.xml is placed in the host's appBase.
> My experience with Tomcat 5.5 is that the META-INF/context.xml file in the MyApp.war
file is always overwriting $CATALINA_HOME/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/MyApp.xml. Thus I always
lose my site specific context customisation of Resources and the like.
> Previously I have used Tomcat 5.0 and in that case the above Tomcat documentation statement
held true, i.e. after an application's WAR was installed for the first time I could then customise
the context file in directory $CATALINA_HOME/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/ and it would not
be overwritten.
> Has anyone else had the same experience ? Can anyone explain how to change the behaviour
of Tomcat 5.5.
> Regards
> Peter Smillie
> This email has been scanned by the Symantec Email service.
> For more information please visit

What is the exact version of Tomcat 5.5 that you are using?

View raw message