tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Mikusa <dmik...@vmware.com>
Subject RE: Logging
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2011 14:37:51 GMT
On Thu, 2011-12-01 at 06:01 -0800, Thom Hehl wrote:
> I'm looking for stack traces. People report defects and we get a stack trace and I need
to see it in the log, but instead, the log is still in the buffer. Usually I have to shutdown
the server and start it back up to get the log entries. I'd just like to be able to flush
the logs without shutting down the server.

Is this happening for all of your log files?  or just a specific one?
If specific, what is the name of the log file where this is occurring?

Also, can you confirm that Tomcat is writing the log file to a local
disk and not a remote share like Samba or NFS?

Lastly, you said you're running Tomcat 7.0.20 as a daemon.  I'm assuming
this means you're running it as a Windows Service.  Please correct me if
I'm wrong.  Are you using the service wrapper that ships with Tomcat or
are you using a different one?  Like Java Service Wrapper
(http://www.tanukisoftware.com/en/wrapper.php).

Dan

The problem is that this is a test server and so it may take days to dump the log I need.
So the tool reading it is not the problem, it's the fact that tomcat hasn't flushed to the
file yet.

> Can you explain a little more about where what is generating log data and into which
log it is being written?

> How long is the delay between when you expect the event to happen and the emission of
a log record?

> >> Try using:
> >
> >> tail -f stdout.log
> >
> >> If you have a POSIX environment handy (like Cygwin, or gnuutils or
> >> whatever).
> >
> >> - -chris
> >
> >> PS: vi on Windows? That's doing things the hard way. ;)
> >
> > Oh, contraire...although one of the hardest editors to learn to use (IBM's XEDIT
comes to mind as equally hard) vi is the best editor to use EVER.