tomcat-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Adrian Zara" <adrian.z...@aonhewitt.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat Causes Server to go Panic/Crash
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2011 08:19:53 GMT
Hi Chuck,

Thanks again. I mentioned about setting the JAVA_OPTS because I thought 
that could be they key to my problem. Previously it was set to 512 and by 
the time it was set to 512, we were already experiencing panic issue 
that's why I thought of setting it to 1024. I am thinking about resetting 
the JAVA_OPTS to its previous value of 512. For several year, I did not 
experience the server panic issue even when the max heap is set to 512. 
But only recently last May when I deployed new codes in our war file, 
that's the time we experience server panic. I wonder which part of my code 
is too intensive for the Tomcat  (or the JVM) to handle. So, I think we 
can leave the JAVA_OPTS thing and focus on the other, the JVM. 

With regards to the JVM, do you think it can push the server to its limit 
until it will finally gives up? Server's processor is 3.4GHz and memory is 
2G. I will consider replacing the JVM with the ones you suggested. But for 
the meantime, while I do not have these better JVM's yet,  I'll check of 
removing the AgressiveHeap option in the JAVA_OPTS as advised by J├╝rgen.

Best regards,
Adrian




"Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com> 

11/18/2011 03:46 PM
Please respond to
"Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>



To
"Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
cc

Subject
RE: Tomcat Causes Server to go Panic/Crash






> From: Adrian Zara [mailto:adrian.zara@aonhewitt.com] 
> Subject: Re: Tomcat Causes Server to go Panic/Crash

> As you can see in the JAVA_OPTS setting, I have set the 
> max heap size to 1G which is 50% of the total physical 
> memory and, if I'm not mistaken, I think we are running
> only one application in the tomcat so I don't think it's
> memory related but still not sure.

Your problem highly likely is memory related.  By setting JAVA_OPTS 
instead of CATALINA_OPTS you are trying to run both the Tomcat process and 
the shutdown process with 1 GB heaps each, plus the amount of memory 
needed for code, stacks, and other data areas of the two processes, plus 
whatever else is running in the machine.  So put in a real JVM, set 
CATALINA_OPTS rather than JAVA_OPTS in setenv.sh, and try again.

 - Chuck


THIS COMMUNICATION MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR OTHERWISE PROPRIETARY 
MATERIAL and is thus for use only by the intended recipient. If you 
received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail 
and its attachments from all computers.

 


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org






The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may contain information
that is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient
of this message, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately
alert the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments.
Any dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents of this message by anyone other
than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. All messages sent to and from this e-mail
address may be monitored as permitted by applicable law and regulations to ensure compliance
with our internal policies and to protect our business. E-mails are not secure and cannot
be guaranteed to be error free as they can be intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, or
contain viruses. You are deemed to have accepted these risks if you communicate with us by
e-mail. 



Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message