tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Adrian Zara" <adrian.z...@aonhewitt.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat Causes Server to go Panic/Crash
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2011 06:28:53 GMT
Hi Chuck,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Please refer to the following requested info:

Tomcat version: Tomcat: 5.5.31
JVM version: gij (GNU libgcj) version 3.4.2 20041017 (Red Hat 3.4.2-6.fc3)

If the JAVA_OPTS affects the shutdown process, then I have to find out
what is the best setting for this env variable since I often encounter the
server panic during shutdown. What do you think? Both env variables (
JAVA_OPTS and CATALINA_OPTS) are used throughout the catalina.sh file so I
cannot remove one and retain the other. Previously, JAVA_OPTS is set to
'-Xmx512m -XX:+AggressiveHeap' so I thought increasing the heap size to
1024 will resolve the server panic. I have two tomcat seated on two
different machines. When I increased the JVM heap size on the first
machine and tried to restart a couple of times, I didn't encounter any
server panic. But when I tried on the other machine, even on the first
attempt, the server goes to panic. The two machines has the same specs.
Both tomcats contain the same web application.

Do you think it is really the tomcat settings that causes the server to
panic? Should I consider using -server mode in the JAVA_OPTS?

Best regards,
Adrian

"Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com>

11/18/2011 01:46 PM
Please respond to
"Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>

"Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
cc

Subject
RE: Tomcat Causes Server to go Panic/Crash

> From: Adrian Zara [mailto:adrian.zara@aonhewitt.com]
> Subject: Tomcat Causes Server to go Panic/Crash

> Tomcat Version: 5.5.x

Exact Tomcat version?  There have been at least 15 releases of 5.5.

> JAVA_OPTS='-Xmx1024m -XX:+AggressiveHeap'

Note that setting JAVA_OPTS affects all Tomcat Java executions, including
the shutdown process.  You should be using CATALINA_OPTS, not JAVA_OPTS.

> settings in the catalina.sh

You should be creating a setenv.sh script to hold environment variable
settings, not modifying catalina.sh.

> Server info: Redhat 3.9.2-6.fc3
>         CPU: 3.4 GHz
>         Memory: 2GB

Exact JVM version?

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may contain information
that is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient
of this message, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately
alert the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments.
Any dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents of this message by anyone other
than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. All messages sent to and from this e-mail
address may be monitored as permitted by applicable law and regulations to ensure compliance
with our internal policies and to protect our business. E-mails are not secure and cannot
be guaranteed to be error free as they can be intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, or
contain viruses. You are deemed to have accepted these risks if you communicate with us by
e-mail.