tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Adrian Zara" <adrian.z...@aonhewitt.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat Causes Server to go Panic/Crash
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2011 09:29:30 GMT
Hi Jürgen,

Currently, swap space is set to 2GB. By the way,  I just learned that the
JVM I am using is Java HotSpot (TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2_19-b04, mixed
mode) and I believe this should be a good JVM. So I go back again to my
drwaing board to analyze the issue. Please advise again.

Best regards,
Adrian

Jürgen Link <juergen.link@googlemail.com>

11/18/2011 04:47 PM
Please respond to
"Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>

"Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
cc

Subject
Re: Tomcat Causes Server to go Panic/Crash

Adrian,

you might want to look into memtest package to check your RAM on startup.
BTW: what's the size of your swap space? If there is none, you should
consider setting it up (0.5-1 GB will be sufficient).

Cheers
Jürgen

2011/11/18 Adrian Zara <adrian.zara@aonhewitt.com>

> Hi Miki,
>
> Noted with thanks! I'll replace my JVM with a better one. As for the
> JAVA_OPTS variable, I am planning to revert it back to its original
value
> of 512 and retain it there as I am not confident of removing it from the
> catalina.sh. As for the server's memory, I'm not sure how to test it.
>
> Best regards,
> Adrian
>

> "Mikolaj Rydzewski" <miki@ceti.pl>
>
> 11/18/2011 04:26 PM
> Please respond to
> "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>

> "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
> cc
>
> Subject
> RE: Tomcat Causes Server to go Panic/Crash
>

>  On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 16:19:53 +0800, Adrian Zara wrote:
>
> > I will consider replacing the JVM with the ones you suggested. But
> > for
> > the meantime, while I do not have these better JVM's yet,  I'll check
> > of
> > removing the AgressiveHeap option in the JAVA_OPTS as advised by
> > Jürgen.
>
>  Please do the following:
>
>  1. Replace GNU Java with a real one.
>  2. Use CATALINA_OPTS instead of JAVA_OPTS (so shutdown script won't
>  pick it up).
>  3. Have you tested server's memory for errors?
>
> --
>  Mikolaj Rydzewski <miki@ceti.pl>

> The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents
> may contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from
> disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if
> this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately
alert
> the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any
> attachments. Any dissemination, distribution or other use of the
contents
> of this message by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly
> prohibited. All messages sent to and from this e-mail address may be
> monitored as permitted by applicable law and regulations to ensure
> compliance with our internal policies and to protect our business.
E-mails