tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: tomcat http connector
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2011 16:21:04 GMT
> From: Shanti Suresh [mailto:shanti@umich.edu]
> Subject: Re: tomcat http connector

> Tomcat's built-in HTTP connector can be used for production if
> your production traffic is light.  It is advisable to front-end
> Tomcat with Apache.

Sorry, that's just BS.  Back in the Tomcat 3 or 4 days, it was true to some extent, but performance
of Tomcat without httpd has been demonstrated to be equal or better.

> Apache's I/O is superior to Tomcat.

Another incorrect statement; with Tomcat's APR connector, the I/O is identical - since it's
all the same code.  Regardless, as Pid pointed out, overall performance is rarely limited
by the connector; the application architecture is the critical factor.

> front-ending Tomcat with Apache also gives you access to the
> powerful traffic filtering, security and other modules that
> are available for Apache.

And introduces configuration complexity and a greater opportunity to create attack vectors
due to seemingly innocuous configuration errors.

 - Chuck