tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat Causes Server to go Panic/Crash
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2011 07:46:20 GMT
> From: Adrian Zara [mailto:adrian.zara@aonhewitt.com]
> Subject: Re: Tomcat Causes Server to go Panic/Crash

> As you can see in the JAVA_OPTS setting, I have set the
> max heap size to 1G which is 50% of the total physical
> memory and, if I'm not mistaken, I think we are running
> only one application in the tomcat so I don't think it's
> memory related but still not sure.

Your problem highly likely is memory related.  By setting JAVA_OPTS instead of CATALINA_OPTS
you are trying to run both the Tomcat process and the shutdown process with 1 GB heaps each,
plus the amount of memory needed for code, stacks, and other data areas of the two processes,
plus whatever else is running in the machine.  So put in a real JVM, set CATALINA_OPTS rather
than JAVA_OPTS in setenv.sh, and try again.

 - Chuck