tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier>
Subject Re: Problem starting Tomcat + APR on port 80 using jsvc with setuid
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2011 13:36:06 GMT
Óscar Frías Barranco wrote:
> Hi.
> I want to start Tomcat 6.0.33 (running on port 80) from the command line of
> a non-root user.  I have set the setuid flag in the jsvc binary to
> "convert" the non-root user to root at the time of execution.  Then the
> jsvc binary is executed with the "--user tomcat" parameter.

Sorry, this is not a direct answer to your question, and I don't know either why it would

work without APR and not with it.

But, instead of doing this via a setuid root script, could you not do this using the
"sudo" command ?  It is specifically designed to do things like that.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message