tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Query related to detection of the Source IP Address in Load-balancing mode
Date Thu, 24 Nov 2011 07:12:35 GMT
Faseela K wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   The client is on the same physical server(Server #1) as the Tomcat,
>   but the load balancer decides that the request is to be processed by Server #2.
>   Then,in Server #2,I see _request.getRemoteAddr() returns 127.0.0.1.(though the request
came from Server #1).That is the issue.

And where, and what, is the load-balancer ?

Can you tell us exactly where /all/ the different pieces are running?

> Thanks,
> Faseela

server still returns "127.0.0.1"(instead of first server IP).

> So server #1 connects to the load balancer?
>
> On which server is the load balancer?
>

>> If the client is outside the two loadbancing servers, I am getting the proper client
IP address.

> Sounds like the application is working properly then.
>

>> I am using tomcat 5.5.31 and mod_jk module for load balancing,and my platform is
solaris 10.
>> Is there a way to get the actual client IP,rather than localhost,if the client is
on the same box as the tomcat server,and if the request is forwarded to the second load balancing
server?

> If the client is on the same physical server as the Tomcat, then the correct IP address
*is* 127.0.0.1.

> Your networking stack may well identify that it's a local operation & bypass the
time-consuming roundtrip through the network device, just doing a shorter in-memory operation
via the loopback address.