tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Query related to detection of the Source IP Address in Load-balancing mode
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2011 10:04:01 GMT
Faseela K wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have applications running on two tomcat servers which are in load balancing mode.
> If I try to access the application from the first server,and if the request is forwarded
to the second server,
> the request.getRemoteAddr() on the second server still returns "127.0.0.1"(instead of
first server IP).
> If the client is outside the two loadbancing servers, I am getting the proper client
IP address.
> I am using tomcat 5.5.31 and mod_jk module for load balancing,and my platform is solaris
10.
> Is there a way to get the actual client IP,rather than localhost,if the client is on
the same box as the tomcat server,and if the request is forwarded to the second load balancing
server?

Hi.
I believe that your explanation is a bit confused, or confusing.
If you use a front-end server and mod_jk to do the load-balancing between 2 Tomcats, it is

always the front-end which sends the request to one Tomcat.
It is not that one Tomcat passes a request to the other.

And there exists a parameter somewhere in the mod_jk setup, which controls whether the
"remote client IP" address passed to Tomcat, is the one of the front-end server, or of the

remote client.