tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: tomcat http connector
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2011 20:08:02 GMT
Pid wrote:
> On 22/11/2011 16:21, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>>> From: Shanti Suresh [mailto:shanti@umich.edu]
>>> Subject: Re: tomcat http connector
>>> Tomcat's built-in HTTP connector can be used for production if
>>> your production traffic is light.  It is advisable to front-end
>>> Tomcat with Apache.
>> Sorry, that's just BS.  Back in the Tomcat 3 or 4 days, it was true to some extent,
but performance of Tomcat without httpd has been demonstrated to be equal or better.

> I agree with Chuck.
>
>>> Apache's I/O is superior to Tomcat.
>> Another incorrect statement; with Tomcat's APR connector, the I/O is identical -
since it's all the same code.  Regardless, as Pid pointed out, overall performance is rarely
limited by the connector; the application architecture is the critical factor.

> +1
>
>>> front-ending Tomcat with Apache also gives you access to the
>>> powerful traffic filtering, security and other modules that
>>> are available for Apache.
>
> Tsk, tsk.

-1. (to the tsk, tsk I mean).  Because that part is true.  There are a whole bunch of
add-on modules for Apache httpd which have no equivalent (yet) in the Tomcat world.
(Or they are much more difficult to find).

>> And introduces configuration complexity and a greater opportunity to create attack
vectors due to seemingly innocuous configuration errors.

>>  - Chuck

But that's also true.

So the real answer is, as usual, "it depends"..