tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pid <...@pidster.com>
Subject Re: tomcat http connector
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2011 19:43:34 GMT
On 22/11/2011 16:21, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Shanti Suresh [mailto:shanti@umich.edu]
>> Subject: Re: tomcat http connector
>
>> Tomcat's built-in HTTP connector can be used for production if
>> your production traffic is light.  It is advisable to front-end
>> Tomcat with Apache.
>
> Sorry, that's just BS.  Back in the Tomcat 3 or 4 days, it was true to some extent, but
performance of Tomcat without httpd has been demonstrated to be equal or better.

I agree with Chuck.

>> Apache's I/O is superior to Tomcat.
>
> Another incorrect statement; with Tomcat's APR connector, the I/O is identical - since
it's all the same code.  Regardless, as Pid pointed out, overall performance is rarely limited
by the connector; the application architecture is the critical factor.

+1

>> front-ending Tomcat with Apache also gives you access to the
>> powerful traffic filtering, security and other modules that
>> are available for Apache.

Tsk, tsk.

> And introduces configuration complexity and a greater opportunity to create attack vectors
due to seemingly innocuous configuration errors.